Friday, September 9, 2011

Throw Back: 1996

When I saw today's blog challenge prompt from Lisa at heysparky.wordpress.com, I had no intention of fulfilling the prompt. The prompt? "If you could meet your sixteen year old self, what would you tell her?" Really, Lisa? You want me to expose that much of myself on a BLOG? But thinking through this prompt throughout the day has been a good exercise in reflection and gratitude.

Sixteen wasn't a horrible age for me; I did quite well in school, followed my parents' rules and was active in my church. However, I was not content. Although I did well in school, I hated it. Make no mistake, I loved academics but I hated all of the high school drama. I never really felt like I fit in with any group and felt really lonely quite a lot of the time. In one of several incidents, one group of "friends" convinced me that another "friend" was pregnant and distraught and could I please go comfort her and pray for her. So, with great compassion in my heart I did just that. Little did I know they were all making fun of me and having a good laugh at my expense. The girl was not pregnant, they apparently just wanted to see what I would do. These incidents made me feel all the more alone. Not my favorite social years.

Even though those high school years weren't my favorite, there's not much that I would change about them. The Lord greatly protected me from many things during those years- drugs, alcohol, sex, laziness, etc. So what would I tell my 16 year old self as I approach 31? I'd most likely keep it simple- trust the Lord more and wait patiently for Him. He's about to give you some of the best friends you will ever have. He also sees the tears you cry in your loneliness and He understands. Focus more on Him and less on yourself. Oh! And when you meet a guy (who is far too old for you) in a few months, RUN as fast as you can in the opposite direction! He's going to make you even less content during your 17th year. (And your 18/19th years too. RUN!!!)

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you shared Lisa. I wasted a lot of those years, disobeying my parents, not leaning on God for what I needed, disobeying even Him. But I am thankful that we serve a God who does redeem our wasted years and He has shown me that I need to be willing to share that with others. If my experiences can give others hope then I am so willing to bare my soul!

    ReplyDelete