Friday, September 30, 2011

Thirty One

I celebrated my 31st birthday earlier this week. Birthdays do not usually make me very reflective and I wouldn't say that this birthday has brought lots of deep reflection, but it has brought more than the usual. In thinking of the number 31, my first thought is of the very famous 31st chapter of Proverbs. In this passage, King Lemuel's mother describes the type of woman her son should pursue. Most Christian women use this passage as a measuring stick of sorts for their own lives. But what really got me thinking is that this advice is from a mother to her son. I have sons. Certainly I would desire a Proverbs 31 woman for my sons. What is the best way to teach a child? By reciting words over and over? No. The best way to teach a child is to show him. I must show my sons what a Proverbs 31 acts like and looks like in the way I live my life each day. Do I bring good to my husband in every way? (v. 12) Do I extend my hands to the needy? (v. 20) Do I speak wisdom? (v. 26) This is a short glimpse into the questions I am challenging myself with this week and for the weeks to come.

I look forward to my 31st year with excitement, joy and much gratitude. Praise God from Whom all blessings flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment