Wednesday, January 20, 2010

WARNING: Do not try this at home

Food has never been a priority to me. Don't get me wrong, I like food and I'm not a super picky eater, I just don't think about food until I'm really hungry. When I was single I pretty much existed on turkey bacon, corn Chex, strawberries, diet Coke and chocolate. Healthy, right? In truth, I'd rather have great clothes than great food. Sad but true. I happened to marry a man who really likes food. Plus, his mom is a fantastic cook. During our first few months of marriage I realized that it was necessary to plan our meals with much more creativity and care than a bowl of corn Chex demanded. I watched Food Network, bought several great cookbooks and got bold. We made it nearly 9 months before my first absolute flop. Perhaps a recap of the conversation will paint a clear picture:
Kyle: (with pained, trying not to gag expression) Ummmm, what are we eating tonight?
Lisa: (trying to swallow) Lamburgers.
Kyle: WHAT????!!!!
Lisa: Lamburgers. You know, hamburgers but made with lamb.
Kyle: Like 'Mary had a little lamb' lamb?
Lisa: Yes.
Kyle: I love you. You are a good wife and your meals are good. Please don't take this the wrong way, but could you not make this again?
Lisa: Yeah, this is gross.
Kyle: Can I throw it away now?
Lisa: Here's my plate too.

The recipe looked SO promising. We both like Mediterranean food and this recipe fell into that category- what could go wrong? I even talked over the choice of ground lamb with the butcher at Fresh Market. The feta was the perfect consistency too. I used FRESH rosemary and minced all of my own garlic for crying out loud. The stinkin' pitas were organic!! I think I was more angry at the fact that I could have bought a cute sweater or a fun necklace for the price of what we couldn't stomach to eat than I was at the fact that we didn't (after all of the effort) have a meal on the table.

Have your fears assuaged little lambs! You will not be eaten at our house.

2 comments:

  1. Laughed out loud at this--hilarious. I've not flopped at much in the last 5 years, but for some reason, I had a head-on collision with some oven roasted balsamic vegetables about 4 years ago. They were completely gross and inedible. We threw them out. Oh that, and a flank steak which came in a distant second to shoe leather. That's especially sad, because it involved a decent chunk of money.

    Can't bring myself to do lamb. Just can't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, lisa! this cracked me up! :) larry asks for lamb stew occasionally and now i have a real life story of a friend to back up my non-desire to make it for him.

    ReplyDelete