Tuesday, January 19, 2010

"But you're too smart to be a housewife!"

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard that phrase, I'd be half-way to affording some lovely Christian Louboutins. (Would any of you judge me if I painted the bottoms of my Nine-Wests with red lacquer?) When I made the announcement that I was leaving the world of gainful employment for the world of diapers, vacuums and general servitude, I was met with some interesting responses. One person even said, "But you have a college education." There are certainly days when I feel like that Samford U diploma is merely a nice wall ornament. But more often then not, I am thankful for my education and for the ability to be a housewife. And isn't it sort of an ego boost for my husband to know that I don't have to depend on his provision, but rather am CHOOSING to depend on his ability to provide for our family?

I sort of view this season of my life as a true test of myself. How disciplined am I? When the actual pursuit of knowledge and learning are not being rewarded with grades or paychecks will I still pursue them? My child deserves a well-educated and knowledgeable parent; that incentive is of far greater worth to me than a paycheck or perfect GPA. When the only actual deadlines are equivalent to empty refrigerators and sock drawers will I still be proactive and not procrastinate? Will I still manage time well? Being a good time manager is even more essential at this juncture in life. Managing time well equates to peaceful evenings with my fabulous husband and fun weekends with my family. Is that enough of an incentive? Is that a worthwhile paycheck? You betcha!

2 comments:

  1. I'm envious of you that you area a brilliant housewife; I'd love to be able to manage by day rather than have my day constantly manage me. I think if you are intelligent it can easily be a source of pride; so God will eventually deal with you on this issue. He has certainly done that with me. "We know that we all possess knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. 2The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. 3But the man who loves God is known by God." I'd rather be known that know a whole lot! -Love you, Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, it's well worth it. I kept saying I would go back to school and still haven't been able to do it. However, I would much rather educate my girls and give them a solid foundation than earn a degree of my own. Besides there is plenty of time for that after I get them raised. You continue to be an inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete