Monday, September 13, 2010

Apparently, it is not hereditary

My great-grandmother had the most amazing garden. My grandma has gorgeous flowers all over her yard. My aunts, all 5 of them, can make anything grow. Flowers, plants, fruit, veggies, herbs, etc. When my husband and I recently moved, I had grand thoughts of planting tomatoes, hydrangeas, daffodils, pansies, tulips and various herbs. I started collecting magazine articles regarding such endeavors. I conducted internet research. Rather unfortunately, methinks this research was to little or no avail.

On Friday I bought a rather lovely looking basil plant at our local Publix. Thinking it would be wise to start small, I thought raising basil plant would be a good place to start. Perhaps I would soon have enough fresh basil to put a bowl of fresh pesto on our table every week. Perhaps I would have enough basil to give away to friends! Perhaps I would continue my serial plant-murdering streak. By Sunday afternoon my basil plant was looking very pitiful. I gave it more water and put it in a sunny spot outside for a bit and hoped for the best. It is now Monday morning and the sad plant is looking slightly better.

After having spent some time with my aunts recently, I realized how many family traits I have...my eyes, my hair, my complexion. Apparently horticulture isn't hereditary. It's probably all for the best anyway, dirt isn't exactly my friend. Can any of you actually imagine me digging in the garden? The thought is laughable. I believe I will leave the growing up to the lovely folks who supply the produce aisles at Publix.

3 comments:

  1. My mama could grow anything and they always had a lovely garden when I was a kid. Her house plants were amazing, rose bushes beautiful...alas my thumb is gray. My ficus tree that the neighbor gave me is dying, the ivy type plant in the living room is looking pretty sad and my basil plant is barely hanging on. The only thing that I can successfully keep growing is my cactus garden and the most common of common house plants. I don't even know it's name. Even the grass I planted in the back yard isn't doing well. I am well acquainted with your grief on this one. The good thing is, we make up for it in other ways. God has blessed us with different talents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There might be a slight hereditary thing, your mother can only "grow" silk plants. Grocery store herbs are probably meant to be eaten, not cultivated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess I won't be giving you a rosemary plant I need to find a home for...

    ReplyDelete