Tuesday, November 23, 2010

45 Million

Sunday, Nov 7th was a difficult morning for me. I know it left my husband in a very pensive state as well. We both realized how easy it is for us, as Americans, to be Christians. This wasn't a new revelation, but it just hit us harder this time. I looked into the eyes of an Uzbek woman, who has lost all of her earthly possessions for the cause of Christ, and was brought to tears. I do not think I will soon forget her eyes or the look found in them. My tears partially came from the fact that I did not understand the look in her eyes. Can any of us who are comfortable in our American homes understand? I have never been imprisoned because of my faith nor have I been beaten, nor have I had police come into my home and take all of my possessions, nor have I....the list could become exhaustive. My biggest 'tribulations' are really just irritations.

As American Christians, what is our response? I just don't know. But I do know that the Lord tells us clearly "to whom much is given, much is required." Freedom is MUCH. The freedom to choose the church I want to attend, the freedom to hold Bible studies in my home, the freedom to order/buy any sort of Christian materials I so choose, the freedom to worship with very little fear. Unfortunately it seems that the American church has become complacent and lazy. We are willing to apologize for the hard and fast truths of the Gospel in the name of 'tolerance.' We are willing to pick and choose portions of scripture that aren't politically correct so as not to offend anyone. And yet the only 'persecution' we face for standing on these hard truths comes in the form of words.

Many worldwide organizations (both secular and religious) recognize that between 70-75% of all religious persecution throughout the world is directed at Christians. The other 25-30% is spread among other religions/beliefs. I do not share this with you to make you feel badly about your own freedom. I write this so you will fully appreciate your freedom and understand that it is imperative to stand for the truth of the Gospel- regardless of political correctness.

45 Million. The number of Christians martyred in the 20th century. More than all other centuries combined.

No comments:

Post a Comment