Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Send me no flowers

Before we were married, my husband used to send me flowers. He would usually send them on Valentine's Day or the first day of school. After we got married, I finally had the nerve to tell him to stop sending flowers. Don't misunderstand, I was very appreciative of the flowers. The flowers were significant of his thoughtfulness and his kindness to act on his thoughtfulness. But, alas, I am my mother's daughter. Sure, I like flowers and if I had the funds (or gardening prowess) I'd have fresh flowers in my home most of the time. But flowers are expensive! It's not that I don't like gifts, but I'd rather have shoes, a gift card or something that won't die in a few days' time.

My poor husband happened to choose one of the few girls out there who just isn't all that romantic. Most girly-girls, of which I am one, are very romantic and appreciate sappy movies. I, however, detest romance novels and am generally irritated by sappy romance movies. My husband made the observation that love is more of an intellectual decision for me than a heart/emotional choice. He's probably right.

I love that my husband knows how to romance me. I love that he takes care of ensuring that my car's brakes are always in top shape. I love that he researches things like insurance, investments and other stuff that, although not glamorous or sexy, are exceedingly thoughtful in a forward thinking manner. Today he called me and told me that my car had been paid off! I found that very romantic. God truly gave me a perfect match. I love my husband.

No deep or profound thoughts in this post. Just a confession that I find myself more deeply in love with my hubs every single day. I guess that's a little sappy, huh?

1 comment:

  1. Share with your romantic husband the fact that grocery stores sell bunches of flowers at a very reasonable cost. When he feels the itch to give you flowers, he can stop by and pick up a very nice bunch of flowers for a pittance and you can learn to make them pretty in a vase. That way he gets the pleasure of giving you flowers and you get the pleasure of having flowers, but nobody is breaking the bank. :)

    ReplyDelete